Beyond Vision into Action
- Obtaining funds to complete Village Creek Flood Control Projects.
- Removing the Creek Banks from the Village Creek Waters.
- Stabilizing the Creek Banks.
- The Construction of the Village Creek Waking and Jogging Trail.
- Annual Fall Clean Up with Renew our Rivers.
- Annual Spring Clean Up with High School Leadership.
- The construction of the Learning Recreation Park with an Open Science Classroom and an Open Conference Room
- Engineering plans for Tour Sites for the Roebuck Springs and the Endangered Darter Fish at the Headwater Section of Village Creek in Roebuck.
- Plans for a Canoe Education site in the Village Creek Watershed at the Lower Section of Village Creek.
- City/County Marker, National Historical Registry for the First Baptist Church of Ensley and establishing a mini museum on Civil Rights and the late Rev. A. D. King at First Baptist Church of Ensley.
- Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service Village Creek Clean Up.
Cost Estimate for Flood Control Projects
City of Birmingham
- Replace 1920's bridge that has 2 lanes/2 sidewalks between Avenue F Bridge and Avenue W in Ensley with 12 inter mediate concrete support piers with a new concrete bridge with no intermediate support piers with 2 lanes/2 sidewalks. The concrete support piers have caused 80 years of flooding between Avenue F and Avenue W where approximately 135 homes and one church have been removed by FEMA funds ten years ago.
- Construct Gabion Walls on both sides of Village Creek between Avenue F and Avenue W bridges (3,400 feet) to eliminate bank erosion, stream-line the creek to stabilize flow and provide a permanent feature with landscaping for a Learning Recreation park of approximately 75 acres.
- Relocate 3ft. diameter Sewer Pipe, now 5ft. above Creek at Avenue F to under the Creek. Jefferson County has plans ready for bidding.